Coleman habla de lipofilling y su capacidad para reparar y rejuvenecer
Posted June 30, 2013 in Breast, Coleman Technique for Fat Grafting, Dr. Sydney R. Coleman, Fat Grafting, Minimally Invasive and Non-Invasive Fat Removal, Natural Facial Rejuvenation
Lipofilling (Coleman injerto de grasa, lipoestructura) y su increíble capacidad para reparar, renovar y rellenar explicado en una entrevista en español con Sydney Coleman de BellezaMÉDICA Revista de España.
Para leer el artículo de la revista en español, por favor haga clic aquí!
Lipofilling (Coleman Fat Grafting, LipoStructure) and its amazing ability to repair, rejuvenate and fill explained in an interview with Sydney Coleman the Spanish magazine, BellezaMÉDICA. The English translation follows at the end of this posting.
The English translation of the first paragraphs of the article in BelleaMÉDICA:
Dr. Sydney Coleman, a plastic surgeon originally from the University of Texas, is known worldwide for his research on fat transplantation. Dr. Coleman is the pioneer in fat grafting techniques and the inventor of LipoStructure® a technique of autologous fat transplantation to restore volume, to reshape, to rejuvenate and repair skin and other tissues and to correct defects from defective surgeries. Dr. Coleman explains in this interview, the past, the present and the future of these procedures.
ENGLISH TRANSLATION Question and Answer
– What was the significance of the discovery of the existence of stem cells in adipose tissue?
– Around the year 2000, it came to the attention of plastic surgeons that fat contains many stem cells…far more than in any other tissue in the body, including bone marrow. We came to realize that the stem cells resident in fat somehow “repair” damaged tissue into which it is injected or placed. New studies show the following:
- a. Grafted fat causes the blood supply to improve by increasing the number of normal blood vessels and capillaries in damaged tissues.
- b. Collagen increases in the skin after fat grafting, thickening the skin.
- And still other studies have shown that fat grafting slows or even prevents scarring. Every month we are discovering new therapeutic possibilities for transplanted fat, and gaining a better understanding of the mechanisms.
We know that fat can do these things, and are discovering many more exiting repair abilities of fat grafting. But how much of these effects are the result of stem cells, and how much are a result of growth factors, hormones or other mechanisms has yet to be determined
– What are the applications in aesthetic medicine and plastic surgery?
– Fat grafting can obviously fill in defects and lines as well as create new contours and structures. However, the more exciting indication is the repair of tissues which are aging, sun damaged, scarred, ulcerated, chronically inflamed.
– What are the main advantages in lipofilling versus other fillers?
– Using your own body’s tissues to restore fullness or change a shape decreases the chance in the immediate and distant future of having an untoward reaction. We do not know the long term effects of many artificial fillers, but surgeons have been injecting fat through a needle for filling or repairing for over 100 years. Also, structural fat grafting often changes the tissue into which it is injected, repairing and rejuvenating for years after placement.
– What is new in using stem cell-enriched fat for lipofilling?
– Supplementing fat with stem cells is now the object of much interest worldwide since it may provide fat with a higher concentration of fresh stem cells to transplant with the fat. Many people think adding stem cells might aid in repairing tissues and organs into which fat is injected or at the least make the correction or filling more predictable. Legitimate scientists and physicians are now studying many aspects of adipose derived stem cells to treat many diseases. Treating illnesses by using our own body’s repair system has captured the imagination of the world.
Unfortunately, many physicians have begun using the phrase “stem cells” as a marketing ploy without much more than anecdotal evidence of any legitimate results or cures. The most obvious examples are those in which people inject fat with no isolated stem cells, and claim to be doing a “stem cell facelift” or a “stem cell breast augmentation.” They have taken the same old operations they did before, and simply re-branded the procedures with new terminology in order to market themselves.
– Your procedure of centrifuging fat before lipofilling is used by thousands of doctors around the world. Have you made any changes to this procedure throughout the years?
– I began centrifuging fat in 1989, and have basically kept the spin force (1200g) and duration ( 2-3 minutes) the same since that time.
– Is there any area in face or body for which lipofilling is contraindicated?
– Structural fat grafting is used primarily for subcutaneous placement, although it is possible to augment an area with placement into the muscles and even deep to the muscles. Some areas of the body such as the calves and forearms have muscles located in compartments. Injecting fat into those compartments can result in problems.
– Does infiltrating fat –enriched or not- have any risk of producing cancer in breast or any other area of the body?
– There is no evidence of fat grafting in general causing cancer. Current studies have so far shown no increase in the incidence of breast cancer after fat grafting; but studies are currently underway worldwide to confirm that opinion. What are the main uses of lipofilling in facial rejuvenation? How can you infiltrate fat in bags under the eyes? What results can you obtain?
– Please refer to my website, www.colemancolemanlipostructure.com. If you desire any printable pictures from the website let me know. The obvious use of structural fat is to change the shape of an area. The way that I use structural fat to get rid of lower eyelid bags is to increase the size and structure of the cheek to more or less “overwhelm” the lower eyelids.
– In your opinion, what is the future of lipofilling? What are the open areas of study at this moment?
– The future of structural fat grafting is bright. We are finding new uses in rejuvenation and reconstruction every day. Filling, changing structures, repairing and rejuvenation with your own body’s tissue (which we call Regeneration) is the future not only of surgery, but of the entire scope of medicine.
Restoration of Missing Facial Tissue Important Alternative to Traditional Surgeries
The treatment of face and neck scars with structural fat grafting
Dr. Sydney Coleman presents LipoStructure to maxillofacial and craniofacial surgeons
Fat Injection: From Filling to Regeneration
In Dr. Coleman’s book Structural Fat Grafting
In Chapters 17 & 18 of Dr. Coleman’s book Fat Injection: From Filling to Regeneration
Treatment of the aging hand with LipoStructure
NY Times shows photos of progressive improvement in skin quality with Coleman Fat Grafting